5.09.2007

Tech: Long-awaited amp post

Gear nerds, at long last: AMPS.

Live setup diagramTSL 100, MOSFET slave, and 5W Valve Junior (not used for Rosetta)
This is the live setup I've been using since about early 2005. The only change in all that time is that I now use a Marshall TSL-100 for a master head, instead of an AVT150H. The AVT150 + 1960B was what I used recording TGS and Project Mercury. The TSL wasn't a huge improvement right out of the box, but afforded MUCH more opportunity for tinkering, so it is currently being used with the same old 1960B to record the new Rosetta full-length, "Wake/Lift" (which will be out 9/28/07 on Translation Loss).

The pedal setup was posted before. I use no distortion pedals, everything on the board front-ends the amp, and all the drive comes from the master amp. Each guitar head drives a single 4x12, and the bass head drives a 4x10. The bass head is useful because our tuning (Bb F Bb Eb G C) is low enough that a guitar cabinet can't reproduce the fundamental frequency of the lowest string. Having the low end reinforcement means the 4x12s don't have to be driven as hard.

Nearly every component listed has been modified in some way (though the old AVT head was completely stock, no modifications). All of my guitars are also electrically modified, so the "Rosetta sound" or whatever you want to call it is not really created by any one piece of equipment. It's more the result of a laborious process of matching different components to each other, and when it doesn't fly, breaking out the soldering iron and making it work better.

TSL-100:
- JJ EL-34L + ECC83s hi-gain tubes from Eurotubes (noticeable improvement, + more headroom)
- 1 390pF cap in V3 and 2 47pF caps on volume pots for treble roll-off on Lead/Crunch channels, per this thread (huge improvement)
- FRED rectifiers to replace stock 1N4007 diodes [some info here] (jury's still out)
- 10H Choke from Mercury Magnetics (noticeable improvement)

3210 MOSFET:
- Stock Hitachi MOSFETs burned out, replaced with Magnatec BUZ900/905, +25W power gain

Hartke HA3500:
- JJ ECC83s tube swap

1960B:
Replaced two stock G12Ts with Vintage 30s. Now has 2 G12s and 2 V30s. We mic the V30s for recording.

Homebrew cab:
Was once a Crate 80W 4x12 (?). Now 300W with 4 G12Ts like a stock Marshall, but with its larger size, sound resembles a Sunn0))) 4x12. Rewired with switching jacks for selectable 4/16 ohm impedance (like a Marshall).

--- ---

Eventually I'm going to put up a permanent page on here for amp/guitar mod stuff that I do, with as many of the associated hard-to-find links as I can dig up. I have also been working extensively on two Valve Junior heads lately which have been doing stereo duty with my Frankenstein-like Telecaster and a delay pedal in Temet Nosce. This setup will also make a brief appearance on the new Rosetta.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah NERD. :)

5/24/2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Haha I know. But people had asked for it before:
http://anchorstates.home.comcast.net/2006/12/pedals_20.html

But I don't think anyone reads this anymore because I have rarely posted since January.

5/24/2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger jaeyde said...

i still check in occassionally for new posts. :p too much time on my hands since school ended. i don't know what to do with my time when there's so much of it. heh. go figure.

5/28/2007 3:48 AM  
Blogger Thom said...

Still reading :)

5/28/2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Thanks friends. I heart discourse!

5/29/2007 2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice


I've been having a lot of fun with your previous amp, sir

I finally got a cab (an MC212) and I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds... hopefully even better after I break it in.

5/31/2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Yeah, cabs take a few months before you can really hear them. If you're looking for another cab to pair it with I would recommend these guys:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com

I bought one of their 212s to use with my Valve Junior and I love it.

Also I just recently found out that that AVT150 comes with a "long plate" preamp stock, but the tube that's in there now is a normal short plate one. Supposedly the long-plate type has lower gain but it's smoother and more musical. You might check out tubedepot.com or eurotubes.com on that one.

6/04/2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger Farid said...

Greetings from Russia!

I've been looking for info on your setup all over. You're very cool to share it, both the pedals and the amps. Thanks a bunch!

I was surprised to see Marshalls in your setup, I guess it all comes down to the other equipment you have. Because I personally hate how Marshalls sound (too traditional-heavy-metal for me), but love the sound of Rosetta. I was thinking you use some high end VHT or Diezel.. smth like that.

Looking for an amp myself, cause my band is heavily inspired by your music. So I guess I'll be thinking twice before I buy.

Take care,
Farid.

3/31/2008 11:46 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Hi Farid,

Actually, you'd be surprised at how much of the Rosetta guitar sound is due to the Marshall. It's in there, you just have to tweak the amp to bring it out. I would say that some of it is due to the JJ tubes (EL-34Ls and 12AX7s, both kinds have deeper richer bass response than the stock Svetlanas, and are less trebly), and part of it is due to the larger transformers and the addition of the choke.

The Marshall circuit is a good circuit --- it just requires some re-tooling to bring out the best in it. In fact, Bogner amps are based on Marshall circuits. What I've done here is essentially kept the good characteristics of this amp, while smoothing the frequency response and beefing up the magnetics and power supply --- this is essentially what Reinhold Bogner did to Marshalls when he was making his first amps.

3/31/2008 11:55 AM  
Blogger Farid said...

Hi Matt! Yeah, I guess you learn something new each day.

Matt, I didn't find other means to contact you, so I'll post my question here, although it doesn't really fit the topic. Does Bruce use a metronome, when you guys play live? If not, then how do you sync your playing to the ambient soundscapes? Or you simply don't? I'm kinda scratching the back of my head on all of this right now..

btw, that video on myspace is awful :) (hint, hint!) I love it though :)

4/04/2008 4:08 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Farid,

No metronomes! We occasionally use a click track in the studio, but not consistently. We've never used a metronome live. All the syncing is just from listening to each other. We watch each other's body movements and try to anticipate changes. If a part is more ambient and free-form, often it will be slightly different every time we play it, which is ok with us.

If you want to contact me, you can email me at jmweed@sas.upenn.edu

4/04/2008 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home