5.27.2009

Tech: Pedals (update)


An update on pedals, since the last time I posted my layout was in December 2006. The Ibanez WD-7 wah pedal from my previous setup is now for sale ($45, contact me if you're interested).

Over time this has started to look more and more like a Boss product display. That's mainly because of a subconscious feeling that Boss pedals "sound better" --- which is in fact because they play well together. Tone suckage is minimized when all the pedals have the same output impedance and line level characteristics --- which generally only happens when they're all from the same manufacturer. "True bypass" minimizes this problem and lets you mix and match. None of these are "true bypass," but there are no impedance mismatches, so it doesn't matter. All the non-Boss stuff is on loop A of the Line Selector. I had tried an MXR 10-band EQ to get more control than the GE-7, but it didn't play well with the Boss gear. It is now on my other board.

EDIT 11/16/09:
A few things have changed since the European tour. I got tired of patching the MidiVerb into the loop for the fade-in delay, so I am using an EH Memory Toy (9.6v, wall wart #1) in that spot now. Lots more character, a lot less flexibility --- more in this in another post. The patchbay is still hooked up so I can throw other things in that loop. The MidiVerb is hooked up between my master and slave heads, running a short delay and a little reverb, so that the live sound is now true stereo. The tremolo unit went to my other board for use with Valve Juniors (I haven't used it in Rosetta since TGS), and the MXR EQ (18v, wall wart #2) is now on board for use with the 8-string --- as a low-cut and boost.

This is also technically a new board, since I had to warranty the previous one after Europe (the handle broke off). Furman was really cool about replacing it. Notice the upgraded industrial velcro for the mat... big plus.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Mat Smith said...

Nice, thanks for the info, thats alot of boss, what picks do you use?

6/10/2009 8:44 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Dunlop 0.60mm nylon --- really floppy. I find I can play faster on heavy strings with really thin picks.

6/10/2009 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Mungie said...

Thanks again for the info. By the way, are you satisfied with your Furman pedalboard? No hum and things like that?

6/23/2009 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except 10-band EQ, what pedals you have on your other board?

6/27/2009 3:24 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

That board goes:
EQ > stereo delay/reverb > EH LPB2ube stereo preamp > stereo volume pedal

I use it for the 8-string and for dual Valve Junior setup

6/28/2009 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Can K. said...

Hi there. It seems you've changed the ge-7. In the very last pedalboard, there is a "m" stamp on it. Is it related with the hiss and noise issues?

May it be easy in november...

Best regards.

8/06/2009 11:53 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Actually, the stickers are just glow-in-the-dark markers so that I can see what I'm stepping on in the dark. No noise issues there!

8/07/2009 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you running that DD-6 in reverse mode?

I'm also surprised you don't have a reverb unit, are you just using your amp reverb?

11/10/2009 5:21 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Yep, it's in reverse. That lets me add wash and sustain without an extra set of note attacks garbling the main (tap-tempo) rhythmic delay.

I use the reverb on my amp, which is a custom made Accutronics Type-9 unit. Accutronics will make you anything you want for an end-user price, which I really appreciate.

I've run some reverbs in the FX loop on the TSL with good success... but since the loop isn't truly serial at 100% mix, that hasn't been viable (phasing issues) unless the reverb's mix is set to 100% --- which means I can't use the return to drive a slave head (the slave head would get only reverb, no dry signal)

If I ever end up modding the amp to a series FX loop, I will probably switch to stereo rack reverb in the loop. I'd use one of the stereo outs to the TSL's FX return and the other stereo out to my slave head's FX return.

The only benefit would be stereo reverb... but I'm pretty happy with the current sound from the spring unit.

11/10/2009 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you need are some George L's!!

1/26/2010 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home