8.17.2009

Tech: Home setup

Someone asked in the pedal post what I have on my other board. This is the setup I keep at home -- all the stuff that doesn't get used for Rosetta (except the Marshall head, which comes and goes because I like to play it every day).

The board has a EH LPB2ube, Boss RV-3 Delay/Reverb, MXR GEQ-10, Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal, Boss BF-2 Flanger, and Ibanez WD-7 wah. There are also an Ibanez Thrashmetal and Phaser that I know next to nothing about and are not hooked up.

This 1960A has 3 Vintage 30s and 1 G12H30. I am now using a mix of Eminence (4 Governors) and Celestion (4 G12T75s, possibly to be replaced with Eminence Wizards) in my live cabinets. After break-in, Eminence sound better to my ears at the insane volumes we use live, are more reliable (I was blowing up V30s constantly), and louder at the same wattage.

You can also see the two Valve Juniors, a Randall backup slave head, the Frankencaster, and my Agile 8-string (post forthcoming).

Edit 10/18/09: This post is completely outdated now. The Valve Junior setup is still the same, but that's about it. I have a PODxt/FBV Express MKII > power amp > 1960A setup now for practicing at home, so I can leave the TSL at the practice studio. I sold the Randall and several of the pedals, keeping only the RV-3, LPB2ube, and Volume pedal for the VJs. The MXR EQ is used for 8-string only, mostly at practice. With the POD, it's much easier to record demos cleanly at home. No mic'ing, and I use cabinet impulses in the DAW -- super fast, and means I spend more time practicing and making demos, instead of hooking things up and fiddling with knobs.

You can see the updated setup here.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger BJ McMurtrie said...

w00t! I see my cymbals hanging on the walls, yay!

8/18/2009 2:05 PM  
Blogger Josh "Th!rdeye" said...

That Agile isn't even out yet. How did you get one?

Please get a review or something up for that, i love Agiles and would love to know what you think of it.


Josh Raichel

P.S I was the big fan of you guys at Sincerity Fest.

8/25/2009 2:31 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Hey Josh,

Actually that is a second-run Intrepid Pro, which I've heavily modified. It's one-of-a-kind. If there is an actual Agile that looks like it, then they probably got the idea from my (and others') SS.org posts.

Eventually I will do a long, involved blog post about it, but in the meantime you can see my original posts about it here and here (older).

8/25/2009 2:41 PM  
Blogger Josh "Th!rdeye" said...

Wow... Fantastic guitar.

What do you use it for exactly? Just personal jamming or will it have a place on new Rosetta material?

8/26/2009 2:42 AM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

I originally bought it because I thought that playing on an 8-string would force me out of some patterns that I always use in Rosetta's tuning, and make me a better player. I've always liked Meshuggah so I started learning some songs on ObZen. I was able to get the Marshall amp to do a super-tight Meshuggah sound by boosting it with the MXR EQ in a "frown" curve and turning the gain down to 3.

I think it's working, overall --- I've learned new patterns and scales and I think I'm going to use the guitar for a song on the new Rosetta record. It's just too much fun to play to leave at home...

8/26/2009 10:57 AM  
Blogger Josh "Th!rdeye" said...

Meshuggah fan aswell? Excellent. I just love how Meshuggah can make the most complicated sounding songs with only a few notes. Complex simplicity. If you haven't heard of them yet, check out Irepress and Textures, they both have some interesting rhythms and styles.

I have a lower grade Agile Les Paul copy (AL-2000). I have had it for almost 2 years now and it still serves me well. I improved it with some better caps to reduce noise, new pots and a killswitch for fun. Was gonna upgrade and get a better version (AL-3100+) and mod it as well. Agile makes some great stuff. I am thinking about getting a 8 string from them instead so i can have a insane range for the post-metal/technical metal I'm trying to make. I just have no real clue how to play a 8 string, tuning wise... damn drop tunings have spoiled me.

8/26/2009 5:20 PM  
Blogger M. Weed said...

Rosetta is good friends with Irepress actually, since we're on the same label. They have an interesting thing going on --- their guitar parts can get very spacey and disintegrative without the band losing tightness, because the drums and bass are so forcefully locked together. That's my favorite part about them.

Textures I couldn't ever get into because they had too much of the euro-metal melodrama going on. It's just sooooooo over the top at all times. One of the things I love about Meshuggah (and usually don't like about their imitators) is that they don't need a ton of instrumentation or synths to create amazing atmosphere, and that it's both visceral and cerebral at the same time. A lot of the bands that try to parrot the sound end up mixing the math with elements of industrial and the worst parts of metalcore, so the beauty of that paradox gets watered down a lot. I'm probably overthinking it though.

8/28/2009 11:29 AM  
Blogger Josh "Th!rdeye" said...

Hahaha, not really overthinking it. I see what you mean about Textures.

You hit the nail on the head about Irepress' sound. Forgot where i first got the notion to begin listening to them, but when i did i was just blown away but the incredible depth they create.

AJ is setting up another Sincerity Fest for around the same time next year. Have you guys toyed with the idea of coming out again?

8/28/2009 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Tyrone Hu$tle said...

It makes me so happy on so many different levels to see that one of my favorite bands plays the same guitars as me. Agile all the way!

7/31/2010 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home