3.08.2006

Train / Isis / Uncle

Last night on the 6:48 R5 train out of 30th Street Station:

I sat down with my bike on one of the bench seats in the back of the train with another bench facing it. The gentleman across from me, middle-aged, well-dressed, and slightly middle-eastern in appearance, pointed to the patch on my bag and said, "My nephew plays in that band."

I had an Isis patch on my bag, so I immediately asked, "What's his name?"

"Cliff, although in our family he's called Bryant." [OMFG THIS GUY IS THE UNCLE OF CLIFF MEYER THE LEGENDARY NOMADIC KEYBOARD PLAYER]

I flipped out. We ended up talking for half an hour; he was one of the nicest people I've ever talked to in a setting like that. He was so excited that he said he was going to "go home and tell my wife that I've met someone who likes Isis!" This dude was genuinely excited that SOMEONE out there liked his nephew's band. I told him that I play in a band with a similar sound, and that early Isis records were instrumental in building my desire to pursue music.

See? Once in a never, there is a well-dressed middle-aged dude on the train, and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, he knows a thing or two about doom metal.


Also:
Tonight @ the First Unitarian Church
22nd & Chestnut Streets, Phila. PA 19103
Racebannon / Gospel / Rosetta
7:30pm / $8 / All Ages

This will be pretty outrageous I think.

{
Akimbo - Elephantine
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. II

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds almost a divine encounter. :P

3/09/2006 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home