12.09.2009

Atomium Amplification

I have recently repaired or altered everything in this picture in some wayMany people who read this site originally found it while looking for help with repairing or modifying an amplifier. I get a lot of messages asking for help with people's music electronics projects, which is the reason I created the "Tech" label for posts. On occasion, when someone is local, I will actually look at their gear for them, and maybe fix it.

I wanted to offer that service more formally and publicly, almost as a "nonprofit" business, so I've officially started up Atomium Amplification. It's linked in orange on the left sidebar. If you're in the Philly area and need music electronics repaired or modified, I can do it affordably and efficiently, so get in touch.

It's not a day job. I just felt that there was a need for someone to do this kind of work in Philadelphia (and particularly in West Philadelphia), since there are so few music stores and/or service places apart from the big chain stores in the suburbs. When I was younger and took my stuff to other people to have it fixed, I was always disappointed at the opacity of the process and that I never really knew what I was paying for. I wanted to know what was replaced and why, how the diagnosis was done, all about how I could do the same kind of work myself. No one -- whose bread and butter is tech work -- is going to give away that kind of information, and it's unreasonable to expect them to.

But since this isn't a traditional business, I'm going to work in a way that's educational, and actually lets the end-user learn something about their equipment. Of course, if you just want something fixed for cheap and don't have the inclination to deal with the details, that's fine too. But I think I can chip in to fill a hole in the resources available to musicians locally, and help them become more technically self-sufficient in the process.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger T said...

This is great

12/10/2009 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home